Skip to main content

Dean : Thanapat Bekanan




1.             Please introduce yourself.

Well, according to my passport, my name is Thanapat Bekanan. However, everyone knows me as Dean in which I always prefer. As is generally known, Thai people have a proclivity for calling each other by nick names, rather than their first or last names. Thus, I think we’d better go with the flow.

2.        What are you doing now?

I’ve literally been struggling to survive an MPhil in International Relations at Oxford University since October 2016 but I am doing well.

3.        When did you start learning in Heathfield? 

It was a long time ago that’s for sure. I wish I could remember. It was probably around 2006.

4.         What things remind you when you think of Heathfield?

There are a few things which remind me of Heathfield. One of which is Christmas time. I’ve been in Britain for almost 5 years now. Every single winter, when December approaches, I always think of Heathfield as the Christmas parties at the school were the most unforgettable memories I have.



5.       Please tell me what is the best experiences that you got from Heathfield.

My best experiences I got from Heathfield could be considered as the worst experiences back then for a 12-15-year-old boy. The person who’s responsible for this is Mr. Steve, the current Headmaster at Heathfield. I had Mr. Steve as my homeroom teacher, English teacher, P.E teacher, Homework club teacher, and football club’s coach. From this, you can guess how often we encountered each other. One of the worst things I felt back then is Mr. Steve’s chant about the importance of ‘reading’.
I can remember vividly the way he asked me every single morning whether I did independent reading the night before I came to class. I remember asking him, ‘Mr. Steve, what’s the point of reading all these books? I don’t understand a word.’ He always replied me with, more or less, similar explanations, ‘If you keep reading, you will be absorbed with all the usages and vocabulary. Do not use English-Thai dictionary, use English-English dictionary to find out all these words.’

Apart from his chant about reading, there were many lectures about the importance of reading and reading skills in generally. As a 12….or even 14 year old boy back then, I didn’t understand what he meant. However, what he said bore fruit after I got out from Heathfiled. I started to follow his advice about reading. I started by reading subjects which I’ve always been interested in: politics and history. Reading these 2 topics in English have become one of my hobbies. This asset of knowing the importance of reading from Mr.Steve (Mr. O’Connor) has helped me to go through all the difficulties of studying at both the universities in Thailand and Britain.  
One last thing about the best experience I learned from Heathfield is Mr. Steve’s lectures (especially for me) about ‘attitude’. I always got told off by every single teacher I knew of at Heathfield. Well, looking back then, it was…..kind of…..understandable given how mischievous I was, to put it in a polite way.
To be honest, my attitude hasn’t changed that much. However, the way I behave and act has definitely changed because of his advice about responsibility.

6.       What is your plan for the future?

My plan for the future is to work as a lecturer. And If I have a chance, I will go into politics.

7.       As a Heathfield alumni member, are there any “words of advice” to Heathfield pupils who want to be successful like you?

Thank you for saying that I am ‘successful’. I’m flattered but I wouldn’t go that far. My true goal is far from complete.
My first advice for students at Heathfield is not to be like me when I was at school.


My second advice is for you all to do as much reading as you can because it will broaden your horizons about the world.
My third bit of advice is don’t believe everything you read, but question everything and do your own research about it.
My fourth bit of advice is to be critical of the society you live in- ‘is this the right way that we should go about it?’, ‘how can we make it better?’
My fifth bit of advice for you all is to be world citizens- think about what’s going on in other parts of the world in terms of inequality, justice, education, well-being of less fortunate people, not just pop culture (Korean drama and singers).
My last and final advice for you all is to

‘……Be prepared to fail as well as succeed. Because it is failure not success that defines character'
------ a former British Prime Minister







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natachai Boonprasert (Dunk) Turning His Dream to Create Computer Software into Reality

Natachai Boonprasert (Dunk) has made the most out of his learning throughout 9 years at Heathfield International School. This has shaped his perspective to be an inventor of new digital platforms.   He followed his passion in developing a computer application when he got accepted to be a Software Engineering student at King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang. It is always good news to hear that our pupils have taken another step into what they really love to do.   In this interview session, we will get to know about Dunk, his school life and what he looks forward to regarding building potential software projects in the future. ตลอด 9 ปี นายณัฎฐ์ฐชัย บุญประเสริฐ ( ดัง ) เก็บเกี่ยวประสบการณ์เรียนรู้ที่โรงเรียนนานาชาติฮีทฟิลด์ เขาใฝ่ฝันจะเป็นผู้ผลิตดิจิตอลแพลตฟอร์ม ดังได้เริ่มเดินทางตามความฝันโดยเริ่มจากการเข้าศึกษาต่อที่สาขาวิชาวิศวกรรมซอฟต์แวร์ ณ สถาบันเทคโนโลยีพระจอมเกล้าเจ้าคุณทหารลาดกระบัง โรงเรียนฯ มีความยินดีอย่างยิ่งเมื่อได้เห็นนักเรียนมีโอกาสสานฝั

วิธีการรับมือกลับการเปลี่ยนแปลงของวัยรุ่น

วัยรุ่น เป็นวัยที่มีการเปลี่ยนแปลงทางร่างกาย จิตใจ สังคม และอารมณ์  เกิดขึ้นก่อนที่จะเป็นผู้ใหญ่ที่มีความมั่นคงทางจิตใจ โดยผ่านกระบวนการพัฒนาการด้านต่างๆรวมไปถึงการมีเอกลักษณ์ของตนเอง ( Identity) การมีอิสระ เป็นตัวของตัวเอง (Independence) การรู้จักและควบคุมอารมณ์ของตนเอง และการมีมโนธรรมที่เคารพกฎเกณฑ์ของสังคม ( Conscience) ตลอดจนสามารถมีความรักความผูกพันกับเพื่อนและเพศตรงข้ามได้อย่างเหมาะสม ( Intimacy) ซึ่งโดยส่วนมากแล้ววัยรุ่นสามารถผ่านกระบวนการนี้ไปได้ด้วยดี แต่อาจมีวัยรุ่นบางส่วนที่อาจเผชิญกับปัญหาการปรับตัวเหล่านี้ที่เห็นได้ชัดเจน ก็คือ ปัญหาด้านอารมณ์ ดังนั้นผู้ปกครองควรทำความเข้าใจถึงการเปลี่ยนแปลงที่เกิดขึ้นต่างๆในช่วงวัยนี้ ทั้งด้านอารมณ์ของวัยรุ่นที่ไม่คงที่ เปลี่ยนแปลงง่ายและรวดเร็ว วู่วาม หงุดหงิดง่าย ซึ่งเป็นผลจากฮอร์โมนเพศ สภาพร่างกายและสังคมที่เปลี่ยนแปลงไป อารมณ์ที่พบบ่อยคือ ความรู้สึกวิตกกังวล กลัวต่อการเปลี่ยนแปลงของร่างกายตนเอง อารมณ์ทางเพศที่สูงขึ้น พฤติกรรมทางเพศ รวมทั้งกลัวความเป็นผู้ใหญ่ กลัวการรับผิดชอบ การยอมรับจากเพื่อน ความขัดแย้งในการมีอิสระและขอบเ

CIS คือ อะไร ??

   หลายท่านอาจสงสัยว่า CIS คืออะไร และมีความสำคัญอย่างไร ทำไมโรงเรียนนานาชาติหลายแห่งถึงนำเสนอว่าตนได้รับการรับรองจาก CIS แล้ว เพื่อความเข้าใจที่มากขึ้นจะขอสรุปสั้นๆให้เข้าใจ  ดังนี้ CIS  ย่อมาจาก Council of International Schools        คือ สถาบันชั้นนำอันดับหนึ่ง ที่ประเมินคุณภาพและรับรองมาตรฐานทางการศึกษาของโรงเรียนนานาชาติที่ใช้หลักสูตรอังกฤษทั่วโลก สถานบันนี้ได้มุ่งเน้นความเข้มแข็งทางด้านวิชาการ พร้อมทั้งพัฒนาความสัมพันธ์ และ การร่วมมือกันระหว่างคุณครูและผู้ปกครองอย่างดีเยี่ยม  เพราะฉะนั้นโรงเรียนที่จะได้รับการรับรองมาตรฐานจาก CIS ได้นั้น จำเป็นอย่างยิ่งที่ต้องมีความพร้อมในทุกๆด้าน ที่ตรงกับกฏเกณฑ์ที่ CIS กำหนดไว้ เช่น โปรแกรมการเรียนการสอนที่เข้มข้น ครูที่ต้องจบด้านการศึกษาและเป็นชาวอังกฤษทั้งหมด ความพร้อมของสถานที่และอุปกรณ์การสอน ที่ต้องมีคุณภาพเทียบกับโรงเรียนเอกชนชั้นนำในประเทศอังกฤษ  รวมถึงระบบความปลอดภัยที่ได้มาตราฐานสากล    นอกเหนือจากนั้นโรงเรียนที่ได้รับรองมาตรฐานแล้วต้องมุ่งพัฒนาบุคลากรของโรงเรียน อย่างต่อเนื่อง เพื่อก่อให้เกิดสังคมการเรียนรู้ที่ทันต่อกา